Saturday, September 29, 2007

Suzanne Fortin, Family Coalition Party, Nepean-Carleton

Should an adopted adult have the same rights to identifying information about his or her origins as all non-adopted adults?

Speaking personally, I think that all adults should have access to rudimentary information about the biological parents, such as name, place of birth, and ethnic origin. Beyond that I'm non-committal, I'd have to analyze the situation further. I am concerned about the anonymity in biological relationships that occurs in IVF, sperm donation, etc. which is indirectly related to the open adoptions issue. The way children are deliberately conceived and left in the dark about their biological ascendancy is very troubling on many levels.

I do not wish to commit to a specific mode of implementing open adoption records, but I support the principal that people have the right to know who they are and what their biological history is.