Saturday, September 29, 2007

Martin Hyde, Green Party, Ottawa West-Nepean

Should an adopted adult have the same rights to identifying information about his or her origins as all non-adopted adults?

Yes, I believe people have a right to know where they came from when that information is available. I realize there are two sides to this story, and that people who put children up for adoption may want a clean break with the past, but the fact remains that those children did not ask to be born. The least we can do for them is allow them access to information that all of us raised by our birthparents have as a matter of course.

I am neither adopted, nor have put a child up for adoption. What I do know is that if I was to be reborn, but without knowing if I would be an adopted child, or someone who would eventually put a child up for adoption, I would choose to be born into a society which allowed adoptees to be informed of their ancestry.