Thursday, October 4, 2007

Teresa Ceolin, Family Coalition Party, Etobicoke North

Should an adopted adult have the same rights to identifying information about his or her origins as all non-adopted adults?

I know that at one point or another in an adopted child's life he/she will want to find out about their biological parents. However, it is not always known what is the best time to have this information disclosed. I will answer "I'm not sure" because it depends on at what age we describe someone as an adult. In short, I think that a 17 -18 year old (let's say male) may be too young or too emotional and may need a few more yearws of development to hear all the details of his biological parents. And so I believe that, if for some reasons adoptive parents have not disclosed the information about the biological parents to a child, it should remain undisclosed until the child (although legally an adult) is at least 21 years old.